Robert Ariail was the editorial cartoonist for The State newspaper from 1984 until he was laid off in March of 2009. He is now published in The Spartanburg Herald-Journal, as well as in more than 600 other newspapers through United Features Syndicate. Robert has won international, national, regional and state recognition for his work including :
- The National Press Foundation’s Clifford K. and James T. Berryman Award - 2012
- The Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Governor’s Award for the Arts - 2012 (The annual Verner awards, established in 1972, are the highest honor the state of South Carolina presents in the arts.)
- The South Carolina Press Association award for cartooning - 2012, 2011, 2010, 2007
- The United Nations Ranan Lurie Political Cartoon Award - 2009 ( Ariail is the first American to win this international award from a field of over 1,500 entries. )
- The Society of Professional Journalists’ Green Eyeshade Award - 2007, 2004, 2001, 1997, 1991 ( Ariail has also won about a dozen second and third place awards in this 15 state regional competition. )
- The Overseas Press Club’s Thomas Nast Award - 1997 ( He’s also won a second place, a third place and an honorable mention. )
- The National Society of Professional Journalists’ Sigma Delta Chi Award - 1992
- The National Headliner Award - 1990 ( He’s also won a second place and a third place. )
- A South Carolina Gold Addy Award - 1990 ( For a cartoon poster that helped raise thousands of dollars for Hurricane Hugo relief operations. )
- Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize - 2000 and 1995
Ariail is a Columbia, S.C. native and University of South Carolina graduate. In 1985 he was given the Distinguished Alumnus Award by the University. In 1992 he was honored with the Ambrose Hampton Award for distinguished service to The State. He appeared in and drew cartoons for Hemdale Motion Picture’s “The Boyfriend School” (also released as “Don’t Tell Her It’s Me”) filmed in Charleston, S.C. in 1990. Robert Ariail has produced three collections of his cartoons. The most recent, Ariail!!!, was one of Columbia’s best selling books in 2001.
Write to him at Robert@RobertAriail.com.