United Nations Cartoon Award Winner

December 14, 2009 | Filed Under Editorial Cartoons

United Nations Cartoon Award Winner

« Tiger’s score | E pluribus Unum ( From many, One ) »

Comments

19 Responses to “United Nations Cartoon Award Winner”

1. Robert Ariail on December 14th, 2009 6:37 pm

Folks, I’m proud to announce I have won first place in this year’s Ranan Lurie U.N. Political Cartoon Award contest. As it turns out, I’m the first American cartoonist to win the award. This was the 10th year of the award and there were about 1500 entries from literally every country in the world.You can see the entries and learn more about the award and Mr. Lurie at : http://www.lurieunaward.com/2009winners_wl.html
    Ranan Lurie is the world-wide syndicated cartoonist for whom this contest is named and he is the chairman of the Panel of Judges. Others on the Panel of Judges include The president of The U.N. Correspondents Association, Tuyet Nguyen; Nobel Laureate, Dr. Elie Wiesel; His Royal Highness Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia, Editor, Foreign Affairs Magazine, James F. Hoge,Jr.; Actor, Jeff Bridges ; Egypt’s Foreign Minister, H.E.Ahmed Aboul Gheit; and other U.N. Ambassadors and notables. In other words, just your typical backyard barbecue group of guys. I’m looking forward to getting together with them for a beer!

2. Jack Kuenzie on December 14th, 2009 7:29 pm

Congratulations Robert. I’m trying to imagine the dialogue between Elie Wiesel, Prince Alexander and Jeff Bridges over one of your cartoons. Then again, if you can create that kind of consensus—you might have a future in diplomacy!

3. Dave Sojourner on December 14th, 2009 8:12 pm

Robert -

Your mother just called tell us that you had won the Ranan Lurie U.N. Political Cartoon Award contest. She is very proud of you and so are we!

Congratulations on this much deserved recognition of our talents.

Dave and Julianne Sojourner

4. Ken Hawkins on December 14th, 2009 8:35 pm

Excellent. Very much deserved.

5. J. G. Braddock Sr. on December 14th, 2009 10:44 pm

I’m doubly proud to be one of your fans.

6. Steven on December 15th, 2009 9:41 am

Congratulations. I’m curious to know whether this cartoon was nominated by someone else, or you submitted it. If the latter, what made you choose this one? It would be like having to pick which one of your children were your favorite.

7. Robert Ariail on December 15th, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks, Steven. I saw a call for entries on the AAEC(editorial cartoonist assoc.) web site and decided to enter. There was no entry fee and it allowed cartoons from 2008 and 2009 up to the November deadline. The rule was to enter only two samples so I picked one of my color cartoons- the one on illegal viruses entering the U.S. from this summer- and the bicycle one. I chose both because they are universally understandable and are in what I call the international style: that is, little or no dialogue and words.

8. Cindi Scoppe on December 15th, 2009 11:11 am

Hey Robert
    Congratulations! Like all of your awards, this one is well-deserved.

9. KELLY on December 15th, 2009 6:41 pm

WOOHOO! Finally some GREAT news coming out of S.C.! THANKS Robert for letting the sun shine on S.C. again!! We are so proud of you!! (I bet the panel would really enjoy having a beer with a real, honest, down-to-earth guy like you!)

10. KELLY on December 15th, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey Robert - just visited the site listed above & what a way to start the New Year with a plaque & prize money! You SO deserve this! Congrats!

11. Bill Keith on December 16th, 2009 12:17 am

Robert, those of us South Carolinian’s who have loved and followed your work for these past many years have always known you were “World Class” and its great to know that the rest of the World have finally caught on as well.

Congratulations from all of us!

12. Robert Ariail on December 16th, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks to all for your kind words!

13. Jan Phillips Smoak on December 21st, 2009 12:57 pm

Robert: I just found your website, having been so sad that your work left The State. I actually found the site in an article on TheState.com about your UN Award, congrats! My favorite time of each year is your Year in Review, so now I know where to look. Thanks for keeping us entertained and enlightened!

14. shawn on December 24th, 2009 2:24 am

Wow. That is so awesome! Way to go Robert Ariail. To get the first one of this degree. Your cartoon is amazing and definately deserved that prize.

15. Ranan Lurie 2009 cartoon winners – first place to Robert Ariail « Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub on December 28th, 2009 4:04 pm

[...] Sad news, too typical for cartoonists these days — Ariail was laid off from The State before the award announcements.  You can see Ariail’s work at his website. (This may be a better copy of his award-winning cartoon.) [...]

16. ds keisler on December 31st, 2009 4:19 pm

Surely, Jak Smyrl smiles again…Congratulations!

17. Tokyo Two Wheeling on June 1st, 2010 12:25 am

I really liked this cartoon. It points to an obvious response to high gas prices. Increased use of bicycles should be part of the solution not a consequence of the problem.

18. Cylinda Calvert Scruggs on June 30th, 2010 4:47 pm

Robert, I’m waiting anxiously to see what you will create about USC’s baseball national championship. Remember I have the “and the Gamecocks are 6 and 0″ cartoon. It’s a treasure. I know you won’t let us down. Go Gamecocks! Take care, Cylinda

19. Robert Ariail on June 30th, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey, Cylinda! Nice to hear from you! I’m working on one now- I’ll post in a day or so.