Welcome Back

August 20, 2009 | Filed Under Editorial Cartoons

Welcome Back

« Debt Panel | Wee-Weed up »

Comments

7 Responses to “Welcome Back”

1. Robert Ariail on August 20th, 2009 11:07 am

Just a note… It was 25 years ago today that I drew my first cartoon for The State. I was laid-off from that paper on March 20th. Over the years I turned down several offers of employment at other newspapers- except for one: the Chicago Tribune. I interviewed with them 5 years ago - favorably, I thought- but the offer never came. They finally filled their cartoonist position Tuesday naming Scott Stantis of The Birmingham News.I was one of 3 or 4 cartoonists still being considered, Editorial Page Editor Bruce Dold told me. Given my current employment status, that hurt. But my hat’s off to Scott at landing that plum position - he’ll have plenty to lampoon up there in the “Windy City.”

2. Chris Roberts on August 20th, 2009 1:40 pm

The News says it plans to fill its spot. Here’s hoping you’d consider ‘Bama, because a few State alumni have prospered here.

3. Robert Ariail on August 20th, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks ,Chris- I am sending my resume and samples of my work for their consideration. Here’s hoping something will come of it.

4. kbfenner on August 20th, 2009 3:57 pm

Fingers crossed for you!

and Shame on The State, again.

5. Mike Fitts on August 21st, 2009 10:31 am

You would have been a great fit in Chicago; best of luck in the B’ham application.

Need anything? Just ask.

6. John Hammond on August 31st, 2009 8:34 pm

Hey, lots of us out here are rooting for you, wherever you land up.
    The State’s willingness to let you slip away speaks loudly toward that institution’s lack of focus on SC’s treasures.
    Your style of art and wit are not easily duplicated, as evidenced by the paltry offerings obviously bought on the cheap by The State, lately. I don’t mean to slam any artist, but there are artists, and there are Artists.
    World-class. 360 degree vision. Keep on, there’s treasure everywhere.

7. J. G. Braddock Sr. on September 4th, 2009 7:24 pm

I wish Charleston had him at the Post and Courier.