Debt Panel

August 18, 2009 | Filed Under Editorial Cartoons

Debt Panel

« Cocky | Welcome Back »

Comments

10 Responses to “Debt Panel”

1. kbfenner on August 18th, 2009 4:10 pm

and pointless wars to snuff out nonexistent weapons of mass destruction–well, those expenses are just dandy, huh

2. LL on August 18th, 2009 5:41 pm

” Sure, it’s sooooo bad that we as a country go into debt for medical care, but it’s perfectly fine that families become homeless from medical debts….”

Perfect !

3. kelly on August 19th, 2009 8:39 am

Here! Here!! I agree with both of you! Your statements are TOO true!!! I know someone who had to declare bankruptcy & lost their home due to medical bills due to injury & sickness that was not their fault!

4. Mickey Blue Eyes on August 19th, 2009 9:34 am

ROTFLOL! Isn’t that always the case? It’s NEVER your fault if you choose to make bad decisions and not do what you need to do to get health insurance. It’s NEVER your fault when you spend your money unwisely. It’s always everyone else’s fault!

It’s always better to punish everyone else. It’s always better punish everyone for taking responsibility for themselves. Sure, you can steal money from productive, responsible people, but it’s easier (and legal) to get the government to use their police powers to steal from productive, responsible people.

I don’t know what you are whining about. You looters get all the breaks. You get free healthcare with Medicare and Medicaid. You get free Section 9 housing. You get free food with food stamps. You get free money from Welfare. Depending on how old you are, you are getting free retirement if you retired back when you could get more out of Social Security than what you put in.

I, unfortunately, have to go to work to earn money so I can pay for housing and pay for food and pay into my IRA because Social Security will have gone bankrupt by the time I retire or will have such a low rate of return that putting money in a mattress would have higher rate of return. Yes, I get health insurance from my employer, not excluding my co-pay, that’s money that I’m not being paid but still is an expense to employ me. However, with ObamaCare, I’m sure I’ll lose my employer-funded insurance.

Thank you, looters, for making my life more difficult because you can’t be responsible adults.

5. Mickey Blue Eyes on August 19th, 2009 9:40 am

The debts from the President Bush administration for Constitutionally-permitted programs is a drop in the bucket compared to the debts created by Obama’s non-Constitutional Socialist welfare state programs.

Why is it everyone else’s fault that you made bad financial choices? Why is it everyone else’s responsibility to give you a handout when you choose not to help yourself?

6. kelly on August 20th, 2009 10:44 am

mickey - if your worthless triad is aimed at me or my friend (who had to declare bankruptcy) - here’s a newsflash! We both work full time jobs & have insurance. I’m so glad your insurance pays all your med bills & that you can pay the rest - you must have never suffered a major accident or injury or illness - good for you! Neither one of us have ever gotten anything free - we pay our taxes, bills, etc. as no one is giving us anything! I have a special needs child that I have to (& still do) BEG for any help at all for him. I am not handed anything on a silver platter nor am I a looter. I am middle class - barely, thanks to bush’s & the republican party’s goals of protect the rich & let everyone else suffer with middle class taxes that take so much of my hard-earned pay I can only dream of an IRA. Thank God you are so well off! Before you DARE judge me, why don’t you take my place for a day & take care of my special needs child who needs 24/7 help & take care of my Mother who’s health is so bad that she has to live with me and we won’t even get into her medical bills, and work my fulltime job! You won’t get an easy ride - I do not smoke, drink alcohol, shop for myself & scrapping enough up for gas & groceries every week is a nightmare. Finally, I’d appreciate if you’d tell me have I can benefit from any gov’t program - I didn’t under bush and I don’t under Obama - regardless of my circumstances, I make too much money for anything as I am right above the poverty line. At least we finally have a President who is trying to do something at home instead of sticking all of our noses into other countries’ businesses by telling lies and leading his followers around like sheep. WAKE UP!

7. Kevin on August 20th, 2009 11:13 am

I’m a little surprised with the subjective comments.

The point is, a public option will cost money, lots of money that we do not have. Over time, it is possible the public option is extended to cover more people, or (in the extreme) lead to a single payer system.

If the initial plan will generate hundreds of billions in deficit spending, then it really is a cause for concern. If you need a real-life example, just look at social security. The underlying idea is great, but the system hemorrhages money and may soon become unsustainable if nothing is done about it.

It is much easier to design an initial system that works fine than to try to fix a behemoth of a system decades down the road. What good is reform that helps people today if it risks the well-being of many more down the road?

8. Robert Ariail on August 20th, 2009 1:36 pm

Kevin, I couldn’t have said it any better. Thanks for helping put my idea in perspective.

9. Phantom 1 on August 21st, 2009 11:40 am

Kelly, well said!

Typical Repub response from Mickey… I got my house in order, why can’t everyone be like me.

It’s sooooo enlightening to know that all one has to do is just be responsible for themselves and life’s little problems just disappear. You might as well just roll out the “I got mine, you get yours” Repub banner in 2010 and 2012.

And the ugly Republican profiling that assumes none of our neighbors can have legitimate problems and anyone needing real help is just a looter… truly absurd, but typical Republican venomous sentiment.

Fully agree with Kelly… WAKE UP!

All I’ve heard from the Repubs is how “nothing” will work under the current administration… You never really heard about positive solutions to the country’s woes from the GOP. It’s a broken record you’d better fix before the next election. And you had 8 years under Bush to tackle the thorny societal issues the Obama administration is trying to resolve, and with lousy results. Who’s gonna believe your political rhetoric now with such a recent abysmal track record?

Can’t wait to hear what Sarah “The Quitter – the media doesn’t love me” Palin has to say about all this in 2012. P.S., Tina Fey needs new material!!!

10. WillieNY on January 24th, 2010 4:04 pm

Ah, the land of the free!
    You have the right to free speech as long as you speak English.